Pad Thai hidden gem (but literally... it's hidden)

I would bring my food-snobbiest food snob friends to Si Lom for this Pad Thai. You can't even see the restaurant from the street... I happened upon it during a walk around the Oak Lawn area (directions below). Everything is freshly made here and it shows. I even got a couple tips from the bartender on where to go when I visit Thailand in a few months. Talk about authentic.
Pad Thai is definitely the order here but I've also had the Pad Kee Mow and it was excellent. If I hadn't ever tried their Pad Thai, I would go back for that. The Pad Thai sauce is savory and coats the chicken, noodles and tofu creating a thick, complex flavor that is difficult to describe. Other than delicious. 

At lunch, your meal comes with a crispy, flaky egg roll (or a salad, if you want to be that person). The egg rolls are clearly freshly made for you, crispy and delicate on the outside and steamy, veggie filled on the inside. Yum. 
I know this is kind of out of order, but I don't bury the lede. Come for the Pad Thai, stay for the appetizers and Thai tea. These are the shrimp & pork pot stickers served with a soy vinaigrette sauce are they tasted like they were straight from San Francisco's Chinatown.
You can't see the doors from the street; the address is 3300 Oak Lawn Ave.. If you are heading there for the first time though, I would aim for the more visible Goody Goody liquor store next door.
I usually park in the wee back of Goody Goody (the signs say Goody Goody parking only, but the lot is usually pretty empty, so I just assume they won't care about me parked in the back corner)... and walk around the building to Oak Lawn, pass in front of the liquor store and then head down the stairs to Si Lom.

Do it. Seriously. It is incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment